These are 10 things you should avoid when dealing with affiliate marketing. If you have found that you have been unsuccessful being an affiliate one or more of these 10 common mistakes may be the reason.
1. Get rich quick syndrome – If you are like I was when I first started I got into affiliate marketing thinking I can advertise a few links and the profits will start rolling in. Not only did I find this wasn’t true, I found myself actually losing money with advertising programs such as Google Adwords.
2. Inaccurate keyword research – Many times I find people jump into PPC advertising without knowing how to accurately target the most effective keywords. This can cost you big if you’re getting lots of clicks that aren’t converting into sales because they are outside of your target market. Before starting every campaign I suggest running test ad’s to accurately define your target market.
3. Lack of persistence – If at first you don’t succeed, try again. That saying was made for affiliate marketing. The first time around you may lose a few dollars promoting a product or program. You have to learn to not quit when you’re down. When first starting out it is very common to lose money before you start earning profits. My first month in affiliate marketing I lost around $300 with Google Adwords.
4. Not Analyzing Stats – Analyzing you’re stats is very important when it comes to affiliate marketing. You have to know what works and what doesn’t. Checking which advertisement produces the highest conversion rate is often times overlooked by new affiliate marketers. If you are running 2 ads and 1 of them is converting at 20% and the other is not converting at all, it would be in your best interest to stop the non converting campaign. How would you know this if you are not analyzing your stats?
5. Promoting the wrong product – I guess this would be an obvious one. If you just aren’t having success with marketing a product, it may be the product itself. It could be a bad pitch page or a sub par product. If you have tried everything and you still aren’t having success with a particular product it may be time to pack it up and move on to the next product.
6. You aren’t pre-selling – A while back when I first started I remember throwing affiliate links in Google Adwords. This was never effective. Not to mention Google has since banned this type of promoting. I suggest registering a domain and enticing people with a short sales page to buy the product. Your sales page could be just a positive review about how the product has helped you.
7. Promoting too many products – The saying “less is more” definitely applies to successful affiliate marketing. I use to believe the more products I promoted the higher chance I had of making a sale. The problem is your being stretched to thin, usually resulting in not being able to provide the required focus on a particular product. You want to be able to analyze your stats and focus on promoting one product more effectively.
8. Quit promoting get rich quick schemes – I hate them so I had to add this to the list. Many people are catching on to these worthless schemes. They are nothing more than useless information that people buy in hopes of pursuing their dream of financial freedom. Please if you are promoting that garbage please stop, and try promoting a useful product.
9. Not trying before you promote – How can you entice someone else to buy a product that you have not tried yourself. 9 times out of 10 if you find the product to be junk, other customers will also. It’s important to run tests to accurately review all aspects of the product. You want to avoid having your sales page sound like a regurgitation of their sales page.
10. Promoting niches with too many affiliates – Competing with other affiliates can never be avoided. The key is minimizing the competition by promoting products that don’t already have too many affiliates. This is good because generally certain keywords may have lower bids for the top spot in less populated niches. The higher the bid on a keyword the lower profit you make from each sale.