While affiliate marketing in itself is a legit business model, it is sad that some merchants out there don't just want to play by the rules. There are some merchants who do not pay affiliates in time. Then there are others who sell junk products with a lot of sales hype. With more and more horror stories about affiliate marketing popping up every day, questions are now being raised as to whether affiliate marketing is really a viable option any longer. In this article I will tell you about ten things to look out for while choosing an affiliate program.
Obviously, you don't want to be with the scammers. As an affiliate, you want to promote products that you would be proud to recommend to others or even to your own family. You would also like to promote products that offer you a decent affiliate payout and moreover, pays you on time. And the fact that affiliates are making thousands of dollars in full time income just from a chosen few affiliate programs is proof enough that legitimate affiliate programs do exist there. You just need to pick them out.
So, if you ever decide to join an affiliate program, here are ten things you might want to look over before promoting a product:
1. As a rule of thumb, always participate in the affiliate program of products and services which you yourself would be willing to purchase. What I mean is that if you see a certain product that you feel interested in purchasing, you can join the affiliate program of the product. This way, you will be more enthusiastic when promoting the product.
2. Try to participate in affiliate programs in which some of the experts of your niche have participated. This way you know that the program is of high quality and offers quality products.
3. Always join an affiliate program that provides quality solutions and products; products that solve a problem of the prospect. Always avoid programs that live only on hype and promise instant riches. If you know any person who has purchased products from the company, track them down and ask them about the credibility of the program.
4. The program that is catering to a growing target market. This will ensure you that there will be more and continuous demands for your referrals. Make inquiries. There are forums and discussions you can participate in to get good and reliable feedbacks.
5. A program with a compensation plan that pays out a residual income and a payout of 30% or more would be a great choice. There are some programs offering this kind of compensation. Look closely for one. Do not waste your time with programs that do not reward substantially for your efforts.
6. Be aware of the minimum quotas that you must fulfill or sales targets that are too hard to achieve. Some affiliate programs impose certain pre-requisites before you get your commissions. Just be sure that you are capable of attaining their requirements.
7. Select one that has plenty of tools and resources that can help you grow the business in the shortest possible time. Not all affiliate programs have these capacities. Make sure you decide on one with lots of helpful tools you can use.
8. Check out if the program has a proven system that can allow you to check your networks and compensation. Also check if they have it available online for you to check anytime and anywhere.
9. An affiliate program that provides continuous help and upgrades for its products have the tendency to retain its members. These things can assure the growth of your networks.
10. If you feel doubtful about a particular product, ask about its upsides and downsides in a discussion forum. If you know someone who has joined that program, or is a currently a member, don't be afraid to ask them about the upsides/downsides of the program. Always do a through checking of the affiliate network or product before starting to promote it.
For more information on affiliate marketing, visit my blog at: